Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Relentless Planner

Yesterday, I was sitting at my desk and my phone rang.  It said it was Courtyard School, which always makes me nervous.  However, Kai had a cough the day before, so I was expecting it to be someone telling me that Kai wasn't feeling well and to come fetch her. 

I picked up the phone and said hello.  "Hi, Angie, this is Chris from Courtyard.  Kailey is wondering if you could bring her violin to school because she has her violin lesson tonight."  I chuckled before telling him that Kai's lesson was at 6:30 so she didn't need the violin at school and that Eric would be picking her up and we'd get her to her lesson.  He said OK and hung up.

Apparently he didn't convey this information to Kailey, though, as two hours later my phone rang again.  "Hi, Angie, this is Moira from Courtyard.  Kailey wants to make sure you know about her violin lesson tonight."

I laughed and told her this was the second call and to tell Kailey it was all in hand and she would make it to the lesson just fine. 

Once at home, I asked Kai what she had been telling folks at school.  She said, "well, I knew we had to get to violin after school and we forgot to bring my violin in the morning." We had discussed her taking it with her, but then realized that there would be time to get her to the lessons coming home first, as opposed to having to go straight from school.  Apparently, we hadn't clearly communicated that change of plans to Kailey, though. She continued, "so, I asked Mr. Chris to call you and then I kept reminding him.  I kept saying, 'have you called my mom yet?' 'have you called my mom yet?' But, he never told me he did, so I didn't think he had called you.  So, when I was in the office during clubs I asked Ms. Moira if she could call you to tell you I had a lesson.  So, she called you for me."

Ahhh... my future lobbyist and organizer.  A girl after my own heart.  I often joke that I annoy people for a living.  Just the other day, I sent my 5th or 6th text to someone at the Department of Social Services about an issue we were supposed to discuss.  An hour later, he called and I joked that he was encouraging bad behavior by responding to my pestering. He laughed and said he was only responding these days to the people that were relentless.

Kai seems to have inherited that relentlessness.  And, it's good to see her staying on top of her own schedule! 

(Violin was good... she didn't get to actually play the instrument.  It was all about learning how to hold it properly, which I think Kai thought to be a bit of a bore.  But we talked for a long time about how important it is to learn the right technique and related it to all sorts of other things in her life, so I think she is good to try another lesson).

No comments: