Thursday, August 6, 2015

Yes and No


Alden has demonstrated even more strongly his understanding of the concepts of "yes" and "no".  A few mornings ago, he woke up from the long night (well, one wishes it were long.  There still seem to be far to many disruptions during the night.  Alden isn't great at sleeping through an entire night).  But, it was a long night in the sense that we never change him in the middle of the night and in the morning, his diaper is always quite full.

So, he woke up and was making goofy faces and tapping on my back and shouting happy sounds in my face -- his usual morning routine -- and I finally turned to him and said, "Alden, should we change your diaper?"  He shook his head "no" - quite assuredly, I might add.

I made a face at him and said, "Alden, is your diaper wet?"  This time he nodded "yes" -- again, with great assurance. 

I laughed and said, "so shouldn't we change your diaper?" and he shook his head vigorously, "no", and looked at me like I might not be as sharp as he once thought.  Yes, his diaper was wet.  No, he didn't want it changed.  Asked and answered.

I changed him anyway -- but, it's good to know he knows his own mind! 

No comments: