Monday, August 17, 2015

Personal Trainer

I've been trying to figure out a way to incorporate exercise back into my day, even though we canceled our gym membership months ago and I find it hard to leave work mid-day now that I have two employees working with me full-time.  I'm also not an evening person.  I am a morning person, but since having kids, I guess I figured I had to do child care in the morning, especially since Alden wakes up so early.  Seriously, the kid is up by 6 AM every day.  Often it's earlier.  And, he doesn't go back to sleep.  So, we take turns trying to pacify him (sometimes quite literally with a pacifier, other times by cuddling or reading or showing him our phones... you do what you gotta do).  But, really, it's just miserable until 7 AM when we finally get out of bed.  So, my thinking had been I couldn't just take off during that time to go exercise, leaving Eric to deal with Alden's wiggles and complaining.

But, then, it occurred to me that Alden could come with me on my morning workouts.  That's what I used to do with Kailey -- load her in the backpack and hike the hills of Oakland.  Here, there are no hills to hike and our neighborhood is so small.  I like having a long loop to hike, rather than walking up and down the same streets.  So, I wasn't that enthused by the idea, but decided to give it a try.  The first morning, we walked up and down all the streets in our neighborhood.  It only took about 25 minutes, but it was a start.  And, Alden loved it.  He was so excited to go outside.  I pointed out birds and planes and trees and flowers.  He tapped on my arm as we walked, bounced up and down and yelled happily.  

The next morning, I realized I could hike over to the Costco and around and come back into our neighborhood (about 2 miles into the hike) and then do the last mile walking up and down the streets.  It's a great route.  Exactly 3 miles.  It's been taking me 45 minutes.  

Alden loves it.  He loves it so that it is now like having my own personal trainer.  Saturday morning, he woke up at 5:50 AM and started patting my arm and doing his sign for "outside".  I told him " no -- not today Alden.  Mommy's tired."  He patted me again, yelped in my face, and signed "outside".  I rolled over trying to ignore him.  It didn't work.  He's very insistent.  So, after about 10 minutes of trying to ignore him, I realized I wasn't going to get to go back to sleep and that, even though I wasn't feeling like walking, I might as well go on a walk.  So, we did.  

So, because Alden insists, we've done the walk nearly every day for a week.  I took one day off because Eric was out of town and I couldn't go out and leave Kai alone in the house.  And Sunday, I managed to convince Alden to go back to sleep and skip the walk.  But, every other day, we've been walking the neighborhood at 6 AM, up with the birds and the feral cats and the other morning critters.  My body is sore, but I'm liking the new routine and like having a personal trainer built into my life! Most personal trainers are expensive -- I guess more people need an Alden.  

No comments: