Thursday, October 2, 2014

A Few of Her Favorite Things

So, of course, I haven't found time to actually interview Kai on her favorite things.  These days just run together.  I feel like we are never going to be unpacked and settled here.  It's weird living amongst so many boxes and empty rooms.  And, trying to juggle work, unpacking, baby care, regular life activities -- I just never think to ask Kai questions when I'm near my computer (and she's gone a huge chunk of every day at school).  So, I'm going to fill this out based on my own observations of her and - if I ever get around to it - will update it based on her own answers.  Should be fun to compare my own thinking with her answers at some point!

Book: Calvin and Hobbes -- Kailey and Eric read Calvin and Hobbes every night lately.  She references the jokes as we go about our day.  I also LOVED Calvin and Hobbes growing up -- so, it's fun to see her getting such pleasure out of my favorite comic strip.  She's a bit young to get all the humor, but she gets a lot of it.  I think she feels a bit of affinity towards Calvin!

Color: Kai has told me she likes ALL the colors EXCEPT brown, black, grey and white.  Basically, she likes color. That said, she still really gravitates towards pink and purple.  She loves anything pink or purple.  Elsa and the movie Frozen have her also loving the blues lately -- especially icy blues. 

Real Animal: Kailey LOVES animals. She stops to pet every dog we pass.  While we were in Denver the other day, a dog lunged at her and growled (she approached him from behind and tried to pet him, I think he was caught off guard and freaked).  It really scared Kailey -- but, it hasn't deterred her from going up to every dog we see to pet them.  She loves cats too.  She has started asking for a puppy or a kitten -- and, now that we're in this new house and settling down a bit, I would imagine we will accommodate that request sometime in the near(ish) future. 

 Stuffed Animal: Kai has never really gotten attached to any of her stuffed animals.  She plays with them sometimes and likes them all well enough.  But, she isn't that into any particular stuffed animal.

Subject at School: This category for Alden was "hold" -- but, that doesn't really apply when the person is six and a half!  So, let's talk about what Kai is liking at school.  She LOVES math bags.  She has requested that I volunteer during math bags.  She also loves science, cooking club, and jazzerettes.  This morning while driving to school, Kai declared, "I LOVE Courtyard!"  Basically, she seems to be really into school this year.  Woo hoo!

Song: Let It Go.  Here, Alden and Kai are in complete agreement.  We still have Frozen on constant loop in the car.  I am so sick of Frozen.

Outfit: Dresses.  Long, frilly, flowy dresses.  Kai almost never wears pants -- doesn't matter the activity.  She can run, climb, ride, play and wrestle in any dress.  She adores her dresses and most have about 30 of them.  It's insane.

 Activities: Make-believe.  Kai is still really into make-believe.  Most anything sets off her imagination.  She likes to play chef while she is cooking.  Waiter while she sets the table.  She is constantly talking while she goes about her day, making up stories in her head.  Kailey is also really enjoying cooking lately.  She scrambles her own eggs every morning.  She knows how to make coffee for me and Eric.  She loves making pancakes with Eric on the weekend.  Kai really enjoys being outdoors -- she likes riding her bike, running around the yard, monitoring the plants that she and Eric have ben growing (basil, flowers, wheat, and an apple tree).  Kai continues to be a very active kid and likes to be on the go all the time!

Toys: As with stuffed animals, Kai has never had a favorite toy.  Her favorite type of toy is crafts -- she loves to make things.  Her craft desk, which is stuffed to the gills with paper, glue, glitter, yarn, rubber bands, pipe cleaners, clay, and any other variety of crafty thing, is probably her favorite "toy".  She spends a ton of time at her desk creating all sorts of things.  If I tell her she cannot have something (like a new purse), she'll say, "that's OK -- I can just MAKE it" and then she'll run out of her desk and create a purse using paper and staples.  She draws all the time and her drawings have gotten really good.  She makes tons of rubber band bracelets and right now is really into braiding.  The girls loves to create.

This is so fun to do -- writing in categories like this really makes me think about the kids and consider what they are up to these days.  It also helps me to recall stories about them.  I will definitely try to do "favorite things" posts at least once a year! 

No comments: