Sunday, June 30, 2013

Translation

Driving into San Francisco for the Paddle to the Sea finale, I was flipping through the radio stations when I hit upon a Spanish station.  Kai gasped from the backseat and said, "keep it here!"  I don't know why it never occurred to me before to listen to Spanish radio -- of course, given her love of Spanish, she was totally intrigued.

Kai listened intently for a few minutes and then said, "Mama, do you know what she is saying?"  I told her I didn't, and she said, "She's saying 'If I break my heart, I don't know what I'll do... It will hurt and I will die." 

I was blown away.  I'm sure she was right, and I know how well she has done picking up the language, but still -- these sorts of things just floor me. 

Friday was her last day of Spanish school for a month.  She'll go for a week at the end of July and then another week in mid-August.  This fall, she'll go to the after school program 3 days a week. 

On Friday, her teacher told me that whenever they give tours of the school to prospective parents, they always use Kailey as the example of how much a child can learn in a year.  She said she is her "prize student" because she is always speaking Spanish at school, so the visiting parents can hear how much she is prattling on with her Spanish! It's that, and the fact that she is an example of how much a child can learn at school -- even when the language is not spoken at home -- that makes her teacher so proud (and makes me so proud, too!)

No comments: