Friday, November 16, 2012

Outsmarted

This morning, while I was driving Kai to preschool, she asked for “Jane songs”.  Jane songs refers to a CD that she got from her prior daycare that was made by the music teacher that used to sing with the kids once a week.  The CD is not totally intolerable, but I still get sick of Jane songs. There's only so many times a person can listen to Al the Alligator.  Besides, I was enjoying the news, so I told Kai that “mornings are for news”.

She was quiet for a minute and then said, “oh, Mama! I have a good idea.  How about you get 6 minutes of news and then I get 6 minutes of Jane songs?”

I didn't really like her idea -- I just wanted to listen to the news.  But, I felt trapped.  Responding that I should just get my way would likely send the wrong message.

"How about that plan?" Kai asked, interrupting my attempt to ignore her and let a few more seconds tick by.

At this point, I knew we were only about 8 minutes away from school, so I figured I could be reasonable and agree to her solution, buying me another few minutes of news and letting her have a couple minutes of Jane songs as we approached the parking lot.  Feeling smug, I told her it was a terrific idea and that I really liked how she thought about a plan that gave us both something we wanted.    

In response, Kai said, “Yea, Jane songs!  And, Mama, it has already been 6 minutes in the first part of the drive – so now it’s time for my 6 minutes of Jane songs!”

I hate being outsmarted by a 4 year old.

No comments: