Sunday, March 11, 2012

Eating my words

When I was pregnant, and found out I was having a girl, I was adamant that my daughter would be anti-princess and anti-pink. No daughter of mine was going to be some damsel-in-distress obsessed with beauty and finding her prince charming.

I've re-evaluated this stance. Because now I have a little girl and she LOVES pink. Pink and red. And she loves castles. And princesses.

She also loves cranes, blocks, trucks, and dirt.

She likes soccer and gymnastics and will tell you she is going to be a ballet dancer when she grows up, even though she's never taken ballet and has only seen a single ballet in her life. It's the tutus.

She loves playgrounds, especially swings. And, she loves to climb. The higher the better.

She loves to play monster, doctor, and teacher. And, she especially loves to re-enact every movie she has ever seen. Which is a lot of movies. It's embarrassing.

She is quite interested in nature and loves all animals. She loves to camp. And, the other day we spent an afternoon building an airplane out of legos and then pretending to fly to Sacramento to "give a speech" so we could save the "broken Clavey river" that had all the "gluppity-goo" dumped into it. It was a combination of a game involving my work, Eric's work, and The Lorax. We couldn't be more proud.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've realized pink princesses and castles do not make an anti-feminist, girlie-girl who is obsessed with nothing more then tutus, tiaras and bubble-headedness.

It turns out, pink princesses and castles are more synonymous with being three. Just three. Strong-willed, determined, independent, fun-loving, imaginative three.

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify this:



p.s. we've held firm against princess movies (except Tangled)... you have to draw a line somewhere, right? I suppose at this point it's more smudge then line.

No comments: