Saturday, November 5, 2011

Betty Crocker


Before Kai came along, I don't know if I had ever made cookies, cupcakes, cakes or muffins from scratch. In the last month? I've made all of those things. Kai is obsessed with cooking videos -- she likes to watch people make and decorate cakes, cookies and cupcakes. I've written about this before -- in posts debuting her first ever creation, the butterfly cake. But, that was from a mix. I can bake from a mix.



But, since the butterfly cake and the flip-flop cake, I've gotten a bit more adventurous, and now Kai and I tackle recipes from scratch. Over the last month, we've made banana muffins, blueberry muffins, cupcakes that we frosted with an orange frosting and decorated for Halloween, and chocolate chip cookies. Kai likes to help mix the ingredients together, although, she needs constant reminding that it is not mix, lick, mix. Just mix. No licking. She really likes the licking more then the mixing.

And, she tends to think she knows the recipes, so if I turn my back on her, she's likely to have attempted to stir in a new ingredient.

But, despite those setbacks, Kai is a good helper in the kitchen. And, she loves to help bake and cook. And, these days, I like baking and cooking too!

No comments: