Sunday, June 26, 2011

Expert Witness

I've mentioned before that Kai is referred to as "mini Angie" at daycare in reference to her lawyering tendencies. Indeed, Kai may be an even better witness then a lawyer. She is quite good at sticking to her talking points and ducking the question before her in order to avoid blame.

The other day, I set Kai up with her breakfast cereal and proceeded to leave the room and continue to get ready for the day. When I returned, Kai had her bowl upside down on the table and was splashing in the puddle as milk dripped onto the floor. As soon as she saw me, she started and frantically -- guiltily -- started waving at me and saying, "hi, Mama! Hi! I'm just saying hi to you!"

"What are you doing, Kai?" I asked.

"What?" she responded.

"What are you doing?" I repeated.

"Huh?" she repeated.

"KAI -- the cereal. Did you dump it out?" I asekd.

"What?" she said, doing an impressive imitation of someone who is hard of hearing.

"Kai -- I know you can hear me. What did you do?" I asked her.

"What?" she said -- which, really, takes nerve at this point. She totally had a straight face. She was looking right at me. She just wasn't going to give.

"Let's just clean it up." I said.

"OK!" Kai agreed, looking relieved.

Your witness, counsel. She's a tough nut to crack!

No comments: