Monday, August 23, 2010

Matter of Fact

I love this little 10 second video of Kailey, which says so much about the child that she is:



First, it says she knows the rules. Drawing on the bed is a big NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo. An emphatic NOOOOOOoooooooooooo. She gets it. At least, she knows the right answer.

But, when asked if she, in fact, drew on the bed.... That nod - so matter of fact - followed by that LOOK in her eye as she says, "I did." It's not really defiant (which wouldn't be a good word to describe Kai). No, defiance is not it. It's something much more matter of fact. It's completely unapologetic. And, somehow completely self-assured. It just IS. It says, "No, she isn't supposed to draw on the bed. But, yes, yes she DID do it." And there it is. And then she moves on.

I remember as a teen telling my parents that I could either lie to them and do what I wanted, or tell the truth and do what I wanted. It was their choice. I didn't have a moral qualm about lying -- as long as I had provided them with an option and felt like they were complicit in my lying by not trusting me to let me do what I wanted to do without lying. It wasn't that I wanted to get away with something. I was perfectly willing to tell the truth, just as long as I still got my way. I knew the rules. I just didn't really think they applied to me.

Karma, anyone?

Every time I watch this video I crack up. I find the expression on her face and her attitude so charming and hysterically funny. But, a little voice in the back of my head keeps whispering to me about things to come... all this attitude and assurance is funny on your two year old. But, those teen years might be a bit less amusing.

Hey, mom? Dad? Sorry about all the trouble as a teenager!! (maybe that will buy me a few karma credits, don't you think?)

No comments: