Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Underdog"

Kai's latest word, which I have yet to capture on video, is "underdog". She says "Un. Duuu. DOOOOGGG" while pointing below her and then bellowing, "DAAA DAA... Un. DUUU... DOGGGGG". Can you guess what she is doing while shouting this out? Yup... swinging.

Proof that Kailey is only part me. The other part -- the seemingly dominant part -- all Eric. I despise, detest, and abhor underdogs while swinging. Just watching Eric lift Kai up over his head while she is in the swing makes my stomach turn. It makes her burst into the biggest grin of all time and count down, "UN.... TWO.... TREEE.... WHEEEEEEE." And then, on the upswing, she starts pointing below her and bellowing again, "UN DUUUU DOGGGGG."

I remember the days my family and I went to Disneyland and I sat at the exit for whatever ride everyone else was on, waiting for them all to disembark, because I had no interest in rides. Or thrills. I like to be firmly planted on the ground at all times. Why do I get the feeling that in the not-so-distant future I will once again be waiting at the exit of the rides, waiting for Eric and Kailey to take on their latest and greatest thrill.

But, even though I don't get the thrill-seeking... I'm glad that they get each other in those sorts of endeavors and also, ultimately, glad my child is not the scaredey cat that I always was. I love that she is such a dare-devil. I just don't really get it.

No comments: