Monday, October 5, 2009

Catching Flies

(this picture has nothing to do with this story... I just find this picture amusing)

Kailey is developing more of a sense of humor, which is hysterical in itself, even if the things that Kai finds funny are really, well, not. Her newest joke is pretending like she is catching flies. We ate most of our meals outside for the last couple of months, enjoying our new deck and the late summer the Bay Area is known for. At one of these meals, there were a lot of flies and mosquitoes, which is really not that common, but it was a particularly hot and buggy day. So, I kept swatting at the flies and clapping my hands together at the mosquitoes to try to catch them. Kailey thought this was Hy-ster-i-cal. She couldn't eat anything she was laughing so hard. I didn't really get the joke, but was cracking up watching her crack up -- and, of course, I started swatting at imaginary flies and mosquitoes just to get her to laugh again.

A few days later, we were sitting outside and Kailey started clapping her hands. But, not clapping like she does at the end of a song (in true appreciation of the fine rendition of I Like the Flowers we just listened to). No, this was random, sporadic clapping. She would clap above her head and then clap in front of her. She was looking at us and trying not to crack up. We just looked at her, densely. "Are you clapping?" I asked. Kai got an exasperated look on her face and shook her head, "no". She then swatted her hand around, again trying not to crack up. "Ohhhh... you're catching flies," I said. Kai started laughing in response, and clapped at another imaginary mosquito, so pleased with the joke she had made.

She has been repeating this joke at various intervals throughout the day ever since. I never really got the joke to begin with, but, every time she does it, I crack up... so, it must be a pretty good joke.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Being able to make a joke at her age....such a smart girl. I'll be smiling about this visual all day.