Thursday, June 25, 2009

Communicating

Kailey is getting better at communicating. Not always with words, mind you. But, she is improving in that department as well. But, she knows how to tell you what she wants with very few words. For example, a couple of nights ago she asked to go to sleep. Well, sort of. She came over to me, rubbing her eyes, and put her head down on my leg and looked up at me and whined. So, I said, "Kai, do you need to go to bed?" She lifted her head from my leg, nodded and said, "yea." I was a little stunned -- did she just say yes? So, I asked again, "Kai, do you want to go to bed?" I am convinced that it is interactions like this that make children wonder why adults are so dense. Kailey cocked her head to one side, clearly thinking about the fact that I had not appeared to understand her initial response, and then she thrust her hands into the air (Kai's sign for yes, I agree with what you are saying). So, I scooped her up and put her on the changing table to get her into her PJs. Kailey HATES being changed, and started squirming and crying. I told her, "Kai, you have to get your diaper changed and get into your PJs, then you can brush your teeth, we'll read a story, and you can go to sleep." Kai looked at me and stopped crying and squirming. I was amazed. I have no idea how much of that exchange was pure coincidence versus how much she understood, but it felt like the beginnings of real communication.

She is also expanding her vocabulary. She has started to understand that not every round object is a ball, and Doug had her practicing saying "balloon" yesterday. She also barks now, which is so cute! I have to get that on video.

But, her newest forays into the world of communication are mostly exploratory... as in, I have no idea what she is saying. Kailey likes to babble, try out new sounds, and has recently discovered her tongue. Observe:
video

Kailey wanders around "talking" like this for most of the day. Either that or screeching. She has really perfected the screech. It's like living with a crazy person -- babble, babble, spit, stick your tongue out and babble, screechhhhh, spit, babble, babble, DOG, DOG, BAAALLLLLLL, babble... you get the picture.

No comments: