Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Growth Spurts


Apparently infants tend to have growth spurts at 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months. Kailey seems to think that she should have these growth spurts based both on her chronological AND her adjusted ages. In other words, every day is a growth spurt day! Take right now for instance -- she is 6 weeks (nearly 7 weeks) adjusted and 14 weeks (nearly 15 weeks) chronologically (also known as 3.5 months). So, based on both her adjusted age and her chronological age, she's due for a growth spurt... and Kai stepped up to the task by gaining over 10 oz in the last 6 days (she now weighs in at 10 lbs, 4.5 oz!). Let me say that again -- she gained 10.5 oz in 6 days. For those that don't know (which includes me up until a moment ago when trusty ole google provided me with the answer to my query "average infant weight gain"), infants between 0 - 4 months gain, on average, 5 - 7 oz a week. Kai has gained at least 7 oz every week her entire life, save that one week in the NICU when she resisted the 4 lb mark. We were freaking out that week, but it appears we needn't have worried. She is all about the weight gain. And, this last week, packed on an additional 4 oz (it'll be 4 by tomorrow) over the average.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Kai's done a lot of growing. Or, more to the point, a lot of eating. And during this double growth spurt week, that has meant eating every hour eating. Well, not every hour. But, close. Let's review the last 12 hours or so... last night Kai ate at 9 pm, 11 pm, midnight, 1:30 am, 3:00 am, 5:00 am, 6:30 am, 8:00 am, 9:30 am, 10:30 am, at which point she finally took her longest nap of the day, sleeping from 10:50 am to 1:15 pm (ahhh sweet, sweet break!). Eric gave her a couple of bottles during the night, but I did the feedings from 1:30 am on (because there was no more fresh milk in the fridge and it's a pain in the ass to defrost milk in the middle of the night when there is a ready supply of milk available). I was hoping she'd crash out this afternoon (I'm in need of a serious nap, even if she isn't), but she has continued on her near-hourly schedule. Lots of eating, little sleeping. Fun times.

Actually, I mean that. These have been fun times. Despite being a bit tired, I'm also elated. Over 10 oz in less than a week!! As each week goes by, I become less and less obsessed with her numbers and feel further away from the NICU. In fact, I managed to go back for a visit on Monday. I had to go to the hospital to refill her vitamin prescription, and the pharmacy had made an error and told me to come back in 20 minutes. I figured I might as well use the time to make the trek up to the 4th floor and say hello. It was a bit surreal, but ultimately really good. Kai had the best team of nurses and doctors in the NICU. Not only were they exceptionally smart, invested, concerned and professional -- they were also just nice people and they became a big part of our lives for 5 weeks. I can't say I had exactly missed them, but I was happy to see them again and it was fun to show off a much bigger Kailey. I'm glad I stopped by -- I think it helped to achieve a bit of closure on those early days.

But, back to the now. Kai is doing terrific and she really is a fun baby -- she's interested in everything around her, smiling and laughing at her toys and us. She fits in the Ergo carrier now (yea!! that is a MUCH better carrier for someone with a bad back). So, all in all, it's been a sleepless week, but a good week.

then and now:


June 15th:


August 3rd:

1 comment:

Sarah said...

she really is SOOOO cute. and GINORMOUS.