Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kailey Time

We've been on Kailey time for a week now - and it's great. The days do just seem to slip away from us, but I really don't mind. I am keeping up on email and world news - and catching up on my trashy tv viewing time. I expected to feel more angst to get things done - but I think the 5 weeks in the NICU took away any desire to be productive right out of the gate. I will start working again a few hours a week in July and then ramp back up to full-time from there, but for the moment, I'm not trying to do much other than read emails, and I've really been enjoying having nothing to do other than hang out with Kailey.

Kai is doing great - she's been consistently gaining weight since coming home. I was worried that she would lose weight because we'd be doing more breastfeeding (making it harder for her to get as many calories just because she expends more energy eating when she breastfeeds). But, we've had two visits from the home health nurse and both times she had gained. She is gaining at about an ounce a day -- and now weighs 5 lbs, 2 oz.

I keep getting emails about how my pregnancy is progressing from those online services that I signed up for when I found out I was pregnant. I can't figure out how to tell them that I am no longer pregnant -- it would be nice if they could transfer me into the "how your preemie is progressing" updates (ha ha). Today I was told that "Your baby weighs about 6.5 to 7 pounds and is approximately 19.5 inches in length. You have been full term for a week now, so you might want to start addressing those birth announcement envelopes while you still have your hands free!" To that I say wrong (5.2 pounds) and wrong and hmm... birth announcements. I guess I should do that. Although, I will say - this notion that you can't get anything done once the baby arrives is sort of silly. I'm doing laundry and running the dishwasher at this moment. Eric just finished a conference call. I just sent out a bunch of emails - and now I'm updating this blog. She sleeps - and she's small. You can hold her with one hand and do things with the other. I would imagine that if we wait another 6 months to try to send out birth announcements - we might feel a little more strapped for time.

Not to say that we're being as productive as we were before she was born - but, then again, we aren't trying to be. We're on leave - and on Kailey time. It's nice to poke along for a change. But, I think I can handle birth announcements. Might even be kinda fun.

Updated to include my original design for the birth announcement - which couldn't be produced because the production people thought the pics were too grainy. I like how they turned out in the end, but these are my favorite pictures:

No comments: